Brody and Brooke

Brody and Brooke

5.13.2011

STL Police Department

So, last November as soon as I started at my job a folder was left on my boss's porch titled "buzz walls" They had no idea who's it was or even who Buzz was....so it seemed like the perfect project for the "new girl".  I called Richmond Heights and they stopped over just to tell me that they couldn't take it because it was found in the city.  (you might wonder why we just didn't throw it away then....there is so many personal documents in this folder we couldn't!  Old photos, army certification.....Buzz has to be someone grandfather or father and for those memories to be trashed made us so sad) So my boss said she would take it by at some point.  Well.....yesterday (yes 6 months later) I had to go downtown for some errands and was like I'm going to drop off Buzz!  First stop the Police Headquarters (after circling that place 5 times in the 100 degree heat and finally parked in a yellow area and said F-it let them give me a ticket), I explain the whole story and they guy was like "nope we can't take it, you have to take it to a Police Station"  There was an officer dropping off another officer and "I'm like can't I give it to him?"  "Well, I'm not sure if he'll take it or not...."  So, I stopped the officer told him the story and he was like "you have to take it to a Police Station and they will give you a blue card with instructions on what to do with it"  "I'm like so you guys won't even deal with it??  I'll probably just throw it away then because I don't have the time for it"  "He's like well whatever you want to do, but I suggest you at least shred the documents with his SSN on it".  I go back to the office bewildered on why the Police Department wouldn't take this stuff?!?!?  What if Buzz was a missing persons?  What if Buzz was in or a part of a crime?  So I called a friend (we'll call him Officer of the Year")  He's like they should have totally taken it....take it to the Police Station in the District that it was found in.  So I had to go that way anyways this morning so I took Buzz with me.  They wouldn't take it....they told me I had to take it to City Hall!  Ok fine.....I was going to be around downtown anyways so I would take it there.  After parking in a permit parking only spot I went into City Hall.  They won't take it either.  They told me I need to take it to a Police Station and talk to a Lieutenant to get justice done.  OK fine......So I go to yet another Police Station and parked in the police only lot..... and asked to talk to a Lieutenant in the 4th District.  So, a guy comes out and it like a Lieutenant is on his way, what do you need to talk to him about.  I explained the story AGAIN and he doesn't want to take it because it wasn't found in his District!!!  (At this point I'm pissed to the point of tears)  I'm like you don't even know who this guy is .... what if he's a missing persons or involved in a crime.  He didn't care.  He's like well your boss should have called the non emergency number when it was found and why are you worried about this now after 6 months.... I'm like this is unbelievable!!! Then he stared yelling at me....and was like it's not our district and she should have called.  I'm like she didn't know what to do with it!  Then I'm like whatever....don't yell at me!  I stormed out in tears!! 

I still can't believe this whole thing!  Aren't cops supposed to help people?!?!?  I'm just trying to do the right thing and they don't care!  So, Officer of the Year is coming to pick up Buzz today!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Don't ya just LOVE our legal system?

Meagan said...

That's crazy! Now you just need to keep up with "officer of the year" & make sure he actually does something with it!!

sblind2 said...

I'm not going to worry about it after he comes to take it....I'll just be able to lay my head down knowing that I tried to help good 'ole Buzz!