Brody and Brooke

Brody and Brooke

8.19.2011

Brody's Birth Story

So did I ever mention I may be a follower.....thanks Cassie

Brody's due date was October 17, 2009, well on September 30, 2009 around 4:30 pm (right after I met with the other 2 admin's in the office who was going to cover my position while I was out) I went to my desk and it felt like I peed myself just a little.  I didn't really think anything of it, so I went to the bathroom and put a a little pad in my underwear.  I got back to my desk and it happens AGAIN!  I'm getting nervous now.  So I go to Sara (she has 6 boys) and I'm like what does it feel like when your water breaks?  She gets all giddy....I tell her what happens and she's like you should probably call the doctor.  I'm shaking at this point....super freaked out!!  I go in a spare office and leave a message for the nurse then call Matt to update him.  While on the phone with Matt the nurse calls back...."you probably go to the hospital."  My reply "now?"  "yes". (I probably would have totally stayed until 5:00 to get things in order!)  So I call Matt back and tell him to meet me at the hospital.  I get out of the empty office and there stands Sara at Emily's desk and she's like what did they say!?!  I hadn't even told Emily what was going on.  I'm like I'm going to the hospital....they tear up and Emily offers to drive me, but I'm like I'm fine!!  I go back to my desk and give Nani the "oh shit" eyes then fill her and Carolyn in on what's going on.  I pack up my stuff and pop my head in my boss's office and was like "I"m heading to the hospital, not sure what's going on."  I walk down the 3 flights of stairs and put my garbage bag and towel on my seat and start driving from downtown to St Anthony's.  I call my mom on the way to update her, but told her not to come up quite yet.  I waited in the car at the hospital for Matt and will NEVER forget the way his truck flew around the corner to park!  We walked in and of course forgot which floor Labor and Delivery was on, so we took a little elevator ride.  I walk up to the desk and was like I think my water is breaking.  They were shocked, I think.  I get in a room and they check to see if it was my water and yes it was!! They told me I was not leaving the hospital without a baby in my arms.  I called my sister and mom and they brought me some stuff up and was going to stay at the house with the dogs.

Last pregnant picture
It was a LONG night.  Matt went home to grab a few things and Emily and Mom stayed until about 11:00 pm and they headed back to the house and would come back around 8:00 am if they didn't hear anything from us. The plan was for Emily to be in the room with us.  I can't remember how far dilated I was, but I was getting uncomfortable so they gave me a shot of something (she said it would make me feel like I had a few cocktails...and boy did it ever)  The nurse told me not to wait until the last minute to ask for the epidural because there was a few others in labor that night too.  They broke my water completely and it was too the point where I wasn't getting any sleep and neither was Matt so I asked for one.  In the mean time I REALLY wanted one so she gave me another shot of some "cocktails" until anesthesiologist could come in.  Honestly getting the epidural was what I was most scared of and I freaked myself out over NOTHING....I didn't even feel it!  Maybe I have a high tolerance for drugs or something because I could still feel the contractions!! By this time I was tired, Matt was tired and I was so scared that I was going to have to have a c-section and was going to feel them cut me because the epidural wasn't working.  So I started crying..... My doctor was not on call that night....of course the ONE doctor in the group of 4 that I didn't want was on call.  UGH.  They gave me something else to numb me and that sucker worked!  So, it kicks in.....and I hated it!  I couldn't feel my legs and Brody's heart rate went low so I had to get on all fours for like 30 mins!!  not fun....  I don't think I slept at all that night.  Around 8:00 am Mom and Emily come back.  By this time I was so exhausted and so was Matt and I was just trying to keep myself calm, because I was so uncomfortable!  My mom came by the bed side and I told her she could stay in the room.  She got teary and giddy and I remember saying "your excitement level is at a 10 (it really wasn't, but it felt like it) and you have to be a 1!"  She said ok.  Around 9:00 am, I guess, they told me I was ready to start pushing.  Emily on one side and Matt on the other (until Emily got light headed so Mom stepped in)  I pushed for like an hour (which felt like FOREVER) and then at 10:16 am Brody Robert Blind came out screaming his little 6lb 12oz head off!!



The room was filled with emotion!  Matt, of course, cut the cord, but then there was more to cut, so Emily go to do that!  It's a day I'll never forget!


3 comments:

Heather said...

Geez...all these baby stories are making my ovaries punch the shit out of my uterus.

Cassie said...

Awwwwww - I'm all teary at my desk!!

My Mom was in there for Stella and so this time I told my sister's they could be in there. I can't wait to experience it from the other side someday!!

Great story. Everytime I think of my water breaking at work I think of you. Too funny.

Sarah said...

I don't like that you know a Sara with SIX boys!!!!!! Please don't be me, please don't be me :)

Awwww Brody!!! Me & you weighed the exact same!!!

PS I had the same phobia about feeling them cut me AS I was having a c-section. Shoot me!!