Brody and Brooke

Brody and Brooke

11.30.2011

Holiday Traditions

As everyone in America knows.....retail stores and the media has commercialized Christmas to the limit!!  I want Brody to realize the real reason why we celebrate Christmas, but I also want him to have that same childhood fantasy I did in believing in Santa.  When I was a child someone would always make a small cake and we would sing Happy Birthday to Jesus.  I plan on starting that same tradition with Brody this year, but I wanted to ask.....what are some of your Christmas traditions to still remember the true reason of the season?

4 comments:

Adrien said...

We talk about Jesus all year long, and I have to admit, I probably overdo all the Santa stuff around Christmas. It's just so much fun! Aside from attending church and just keeping the reason for the season in our dialogue all month long, I planned to do the same thing you're doing! We're going to have a little birthday party for Jesus..probably on the 23rd to kick off the rest of the holiday celebrations.

Do you have any storybooks about the Christmas story? That would be a great way to keep Brody's mind focused on the real meaning of Christmas. There's also a fun activity you can do with your nativity set (starting tomorrow!) Set the wise men far away from the manger scene somewhere in your house and show Brody where it is. Then every night when he's asleep move the wise men a little closer to the the manger. He'll have fun waking up every morning to see where the wise men ended up. By Christmas morning the wise men will have made it all the way to the manger to worship Jesus. :)

Emily Montgomery said...

So glad we are starting to do this again...reminds me of Grandma's. =(

Hannah Mayberry said...

Grandma still makes a cake each year and no matter what we all have to sit around the table after dinner and sign Happy Birthday to Jesus. I remember the first time I brought someone to dinner and this happened they looked at us like we were insane. But I think it is a great idea!

Christine Pettijohn said...

Thats why Vince and I do not do Santa at all and focus on the real reason for Christmas. We still do gifts Wyatt knows who they are from and why we really celebrate Christmas.