Brody and Brooke

Brody and Brooke

6.08.2011

Susan G Komen

So for the past 5 years I have been participating in the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure in St. Louis.  I LOVE IT!!  Matt and I ran our first 5K at the race in 2008 , I even walked in it when I was pregnant!  I can't wait until Brody can go and he can understand why the hell we are up and walking/running 3 miles at the butt crack of dawn in June!!  I heard a great story today on the Bull (this year their team is 7,000-amazing) A lady called in to thank Corn Bread of doing the team, because just yesterday she was diagnosed with breast cancer.  Early stages.  Corn Bread asked her what she wanted to tell all the people who will be out on Saturday and she said, "thank you".  I about lost it!  I'm not sure why this race is so special to me.....no one in my family has had breast cancer.  Maybe it's because in High School my best friend's Mom had it.  Or maybe because I worked with a lady who beat it and she truly has the best outlook on life.  Or maybe because Matt gets up at 6:00 every year to run in it (and trust me he is NOT a morning person) Or maybe because over 70,000 people do it every year and I love the sight at the top of one of hills when all you see is solid people in both directions.  Or maybe it's the sign a kids back that says in memory of my MOM.....  Every year I tear up at least a few times during the run!

If you haven't signed up you can still donate!  Tomorrow is the Dine out for the Cure in St. Louis!  Most restaurants donate .35%, but some donate 50% of their sales!!  Here is a list of participating restaurants

5 comments:

Cassie said...

AMEN SISTER!
No one extremely close to me has ever had it but I tear up every.single year.
And it's not something you just want to do once to say you have done it, it's amazing every single year. And yes, that view at the top of that hill, breath taking!!
Great post!!

Meagan said...

I am sooo bummed that I'm going to miss it this year!!

I can only imagine how good it makes all of the survivors & everyone who is currently battling it feel when they see all of those people supporting them. I don't think there has been one time that I've been to the walk & haven't cried....its just so amazing to see that many people trying to make a difference!

Jackie said...

I was thinking about doing it this year but ELi is out of town so I had no one to watch Loreli and I didn't know how she would do if I would bring her down there. Hopefully next I can.

sblind2 said...

Jackie, I would not take her until she can walk the whole 3 miles! 70,000 ppl in a few block of STL .... it's madness!!! If you want you can still sign up I think. My mom is coming up to watch Brody and you can leave Loreli with her too!

Jackie said...

I would love too but I have to work. Hopefully next year it will work for me to go!