Brody and Brooke

Brody and Brooke

10.19.2011

I'm no Juila Child.....

I don't cook for few reasons:

(a) I don't like to clean up the mess
(b) I want to be that kind of cook that just throws things together and it's fabulous and after many attempts it NEVER works
(c) I'm not patient-I turn up the heat so it cooks faster and opens the oven to check to see if its done.

Let's talk about (b) Some of my attempts haven't been that bad, but some have.....one sticks out in my head and another one just happened today!  ugh.  When Matt and I moved into together I wanted so badly to be "suzy homemaker"  one time I tried to make a dish and it was such a failure it's the one that that sticks out in both of our minds to this day!  It was mac and cheese (simple right) I was going to bake it because that makes it better, right?  Well I thought I would just add an ingredient to spice it up a bit....it was a can of tomato soup (WTF) was I thinking.  It turned the whole dish to a nasty orange color.  We took a few bites and (god love him) Matt didn't say anything until I did about how bad it was.  BAHAHA

So onto today....I grabbed a can of tomato soup (what is with me and this ingredient) and I remembered the last time I took it to work it was bland so I made a little season packet to take along.  Instead of putting just a little of the seasonings (which included garlic powder and garlic and herbs) I dumped the whole thing in there right from the beginning.  (I'm pretty sure the garlic and herbs is a marinate, so it had lots of pieces of onion and stuff and was really flavorful) So, after I realized that it was so strong I looked in the fridge to see what else I had to add.....Laughing Cow Swiss.  Umm, ok!  (I'm not lying here, folks) I added a wedge of that and nuked it for a minute. It didn't melt.  Another minute....still nothing!  Obviously the Laughing Cow doesn't MELT!  So I ate about half of it and was totally bummed that I ruined my lunch!  

All I have to say is thank god Matt likes to cook and it pretty good at it!!!

11 comments:

Kim Luke said...

Bahahaha! Hilarious!!!
I totally feel you on the trying to create stuff, and failing majorly!!
I made something one time that was so nasty the damn dogs wouldn't even eat it. WTF!!!

Dane does a majority of our cooking too! thank god!

Meagan said...

Practice makes perfect...you just have to keep trying things until you get it right! My mom is an awesome cook and I always feel like I have to live up to her cooking which makes me feel like a failure most of the time...especially when she is in town & the only thing Ryan wants is for her to cook!

sblind2 said...

Matt has his moments too. The other day I came home and he was trying to make gravy and first used Bisquick then realized it was flour that you use to make gravy....it was still wallpaper paste!! =(

Ashley Mitchell said...

Next time you see Eric ask him about the spaghetti I made when we first lived together. It was sooo bad and he wouldn't tell me. He even took leftovers to work! He did throw them away but didn't tell me till like a year later. I now make yummy spaghetti.

sblind2 said...

Bahahaha, I can't wait to hear this one!

Kim Luke said...

Ashley I have to know how you messed up Spaghetti!!! LOL That might be the ONE thing I can cook!!

Adrien said...

I secretly HATE cooking. Hate it. I'll bake when I feel like it, and I'm a big fan of the crock pot...but whipping up a dish or standing over the stove for an hour? Nope. I WISH Eric would do some of the cooking, but if I waited for him we wouldn't be eating until like 8:00 every night. Luckily I can make the same four things and he's happy as a clam, haha.

Ashley Mitchell said...

Well...for the record I'm good at it now. But I overcooked the noodles so much they were like mush, and I made the sauce from scratch, not too sure what I did but it was disgusting! I didn't even eat it, I asked him how he was and he was like "it's fine." He just didn't have the heart to tell me.

Jackie said...

Just ask Eli about my cooking...I SUCK at it...so let just say we only have a few diffrent dishes that I make and they are just ok! I hate to cook!!!

Heather said...

Two words people...Ramen Noodles.

Jen said...

OMG!!! Too funny! Like Meagan said, practice makes perfect! I'll give you a lesson some time!